Monday, March 18, 2013

Too good to be kept a secret.

Diamond in the rough.
Last summer, a friend and I were wandering the streets of Chiba, looking for somewhere to go for dinner. It must have been fate when we came across Borracho, quite potentially my favorite restaurant here in Chiba City. (The photos for this post are from my 4th or 5th visit though...cause this place is awesome!)

This lovely Spanish tapa and wine bar is hidden along one of the side roads behind the Parco parking garage (right next to Yoshikawa Koen station on the Chiba Urban Monorail).

Cozy interior. I love this place!
For the record, the wall...to what would be the right side of this photo is really cool too, because it's made of wooden wine boxes.

Anyway, Borracho is a pretty small place - only fits about 20 people (and only has table seating for 14). I'd say it's perfect for a gathering with 1-3 other friends. Anymore than that...well, I suppose it's alright if you don't mind getting cozy. That and I would highly recommend that you make reservations in advance!

Sangria and otooshi (mini appetizer that's often served when you order an alcoholic drink)
Of course, it's not just all about looks though! But hands down no worries here. This place had me before our food orders came out. The sangria here - both red and white - is absolutely genius.

My friend decided our meal would look more appealing if her hand was positioned in front of it.
I think we had (from top left, clockwise) fish carpaccio, some kind of quiche, and French fries. Sounds simple...til you eat it. AMAZING. Also not pictured (because they were devoured before I got the chance to take a photo): Spanish omelette, paella, prosciutto ham, and then crema catalana for dessert! NOMNOMS.

More lovely interior. Perhaps I'm that much more biased because my favorite color is red...
Doesn't look like the bar has a website of it's own, so here's a link to reviews, etc. of Borracho on the Japanese website Tabelog: http://tabelog.com/chiba/A1201/A120101/12019767/

I must admit that this place is on the pricier side - especially if you consider the chain izakaya concentrated in this area. And I don't know what lunch is like here. But I think the food, drink, and service here totally makes it justifiable. Or maybe I'm that much more of a sucker for these quaint, cozy places.

No comments:

Post a Comment