Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sawara Grand Autumn Festival.

I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I've been sitting on this post for more than half a year now!

Time slip again - this time to the beginning of October. It was a gorgeous Saturday morning, and I headed up to northern Chiba with some fun company. First we made a quick stop to check out Katori Shrine.

But first, a slight detour at Katori Shrine (香取神宮)! I love the nature here.
Basically, there is an incredible festival called the Sawara Grand Festival (佐原の大祭) held twice a year, once in the summer and the other in the fall. As the title suggests, I went to the autumn festival, but the summer festival is actually coming up this weekend!

Read more about the Sawara Grand Summer Festival here: http://www.pref.chiba.lg.jp/kokusai/english/information/residents/news/issues/july2013.html#f0702

Anyway, here's a peak of the sights you can enjoy at the festival:

Passing under one of many low bridges. Each boat is operated by two people - someone operating the motor, and another (always a woman?) watching for other boats, obstructions, etc.
After our mini stopover at Katori Shrine, we hopped over to our main destination for the day - Sawara, a historical district in Katori City! We went by car, and from there you can hop on a boat into town for just a small fee.

At the festival! Here comes one of the dashi, or festival floats.
Sawara's really serious about its festivals - they even have dashi on the lampposts!
These guys have the important role of steering the dashi with these giant wooden poles...
...especially when they have to navigate super narrow roads and power lines!
I originally took this because of the adorable kid looking all comfy on the dashi...
the random McDonald's bags surprised me when I reviewed the photo later on.
The guys smashing each other to help push the dashi! Looks fun, but also super painful :/
Love these girls' outfits!
Entrance to JR Sawara Station - the main festival venues are about a 10-15 minute walk from here.
It's festival season again!! I am a little skeptical about whether or not I'll be able to go see a festival before I leave Japan, but I hope you will be able to make it out to some!

No comments:

Post a Comment