Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Blueberry picking at Nagasa Blueberry Hills.

Lovely Kamogawa, I miss you every time I'm away!
My next adventure found me on a gorgeous day in the countryside! I do love Kamogawa's ocean views, the hilly farm land is stunning too!

Tada! Welcome to Nagasa Blueberry Hills!
I came here for blueberry picking about 2 years ago - nothing beats fruit fresh off the trees! I wanted to come back last year, but was busy getting ready to move. Blueberry season is generally from mid-June to the end of August, and I definitely wasn't gonna miss my chance this year!

Aside myself with excitement, I totally forgot to take photos of this part - but go into the little house (to the left of the bright green sign in the photo above), which is the reception for blueberry picking. There you can either choose all-you-can-eat blueberries (食べ放題) for 30 minutes, or pick and pay by weight (摘み取り). We chose the latter! My master plan was to pick a bunch and immediately throw them into the freezer, since in my head gross summer humidity + frozen blueberries make life a little happier!

We were handed our baskets, and off to the blueberry house we went~
Also on a random note, the older guy at reception (whom I assume is the owner, since he was there when I came two years ago when the business was just starting out) has reaaaaally really good English! Like really! He was the nicest, sweetest old guy ever.

Blueberry hunting!!
Blueberry picking is well...pretty self explanatory. It doesn't take much effort other than plucking nice big, blue berries off the bush (and perhaps trying to avoid bugs and spiderwebs). Right now is still relatively early in the season, but if you go later on in July, it can get really HOT so just make sure you come prepared for the heat!

Since there isn't much to show actually picking, here are some wannabe artsy photos of the blueberries:

So pretty! And more importantly, so delicious!

Finally, after 30 minutes or so, I think we managed to get a decent amount!

Of course, it looks like we picked nothing...but the blueberries are all hiding at the bottom where you can't see them, I swear!
As we strolled back to the reception, we also enjoyed the lovely garden surrounding the blueberry houses:


Spot the butterfly!
They also make blueberry sherbet here! I didn't have it this time around, but it's reaaaaaally good stuff.
Boxed up and ready to go!
Bring your basket back to reception, where they'll weigh and box your pick while you enjoy sherbet (should you choose) and complimentary tea outside! I paid about 1000 yen (500 yen for admission, so 500 yen for the blueberries...and I think I picked 250-300g).


And in closing, I think these are the rabbit eye blueberries pictured on the Blueberry Hills website! They are blueberries, but they are pink/red! I was actually really really really hoping to try these, but it turns out that they won't be ripe for picking until later on in the season...I guess I will just have to make a second trip! :D

Nagasa Blueberry Hills website:
http://www15.plala.or.jp/nagasa-b-b/

No comments:

Post a Comment