Saturday, August 11, 2012

Summer to-do list: fireworks...check!

So here I am, officially on my fifth and final year on the JET Programme! Time really does fly. I've met tons of new people, gone to a lot of different places, tried out many new things...and now I have a few traditions too!


One tradition is going to the Tateyama Fireworks Display (館山湾花火大会), held on August 8 each year...it was my 4th year in a row going to see the fireworks here! I have a lot of pride for Kamogawa, but the fireworks in Tateyama are particularly amazing...if you didn't go this year, definitely go next year!

Anyway, last year I found out through experience that the roads back north get extremely clogged up after fireworks are over. It's so bad that it probably takes an hour and a half to drive a distance that usually only takes about 5 minutes.

So I was already planning to use the train (the Hojo beach area is just a 5 minute walk from Tateyama Station on the JR Uchibo Line), but this fantastic deal helped me save some money:

Powerful x Smile Chiba Free Pass (パワフル×スマイルちばフリーパス)

For just 1,800 yen for adults, you can ride the JR lines, Kominato Railway, Isumi Railway, and Choshi Electric Railway anywhere within Chiba Prefecture (plus just a touch over into Kashima in Ibaraki Prefecture using JR) as much as you want for one day!! If you want to ride the fancy limited express trains, you just have to buy a separate ticket for that too.

Anyway, this deal is really great if you've ever wanted to travel to the outer regions of Chiba! For instance, standard fare for Chiba Station to/from Tateyama is 1,450 yen one way (1,450 yen x 2= 2,900 yen). But since I was able to use this pass for both ways, I was able to save 1,100 yen (2,900 yen - 1,800 yen=1,100 yen)!!

This was just for a simple Point A to Point B trip, but if you're looking for a full day trip somewhere in/around Chiba, this is definitely for you. As much as I love it, highway bus fare from Chiba to/from Kamogawa is already 1,800 yen one way...!!!

What the actual pass looks like :)
I rarely do extensive traveling by train, but it's really easy to buy! Just go to any JR Ticket Reservation Center (みどりの窓口) at any JR station in Chiba Prefecture, and tell them you want a Powerful x Smile Chiba Free Pass! (And probably feel just a little silly saying it like I did.) Or more than one, if you're traveling with friends.

You can buy the pass in advance, or you can buy it the same day you'll be using it, which is what I did. But beware...this deal is only available until Friday, August 31!! Happy travels!

For more info, here's the link to the pdf describing this deal (sorry, it's all in Japanese though):
http://www.jrchiba.jp/news/pdf/20120709pawasuma.pdf

One more fireworks picture, just for the record.
Fireworks season is almost over, but omatsuri (festival) season is just getting started!! Time for me to pull out my flowery ninja suit (= omatsuri outfit), as my friend called it.

No comments:

Post a Comment