Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lunch Adventures: Rokuro Cafe & Gallery.

Today I'm here to share a recent favorite lunch spot: the lovely Rokuro Cafe & Gallery!

Tucked in amongst the row of shops. You'll find it right next to the Windsor Tennis Shop.
I'd tried to come here before, but my first attempt ended in failure because the cafe was totally full. Because my area is chock full of government offices, there aren't so many places to eat until you go closer to Chiba Station...which would cut down on precious lunch time. So for popular places like Rokuro, the key is to...run, and try to secure your seats ASAP.

Mmmmmm. Happiness = beef stew.
So my first "real" (as in successful) visit to Rokuro was during the winter season. Somehow some of the ladies and I got onto the topic of beef stew - maybe because it was freezing and we were discussing foods that help warm you up?

In any case, one of the ladies suggested two nearby restaurants that had great beef stew. One of course was Rokuro, the other one I can't remember at all - perhaps because Rokuro was that much better. :)

Cheese curry toast lunch set!
Since then, I've been to Rokuro quite a few times. One day I was in a curry-ish mood, so I ordered this! Think soup bread bowls...except an entire half of a loaf of bread. Seriously. I am sorry that the photo doesn't do it justice. (Perhaps that's a sign I should go back for another round so I can take a better photo...)

When I first tried to dig in, I was really confused because they had only given me a fork to eat with. I asked for a spoon, and then the waitress kindly explained that the inside of the bread "bowl" (cube?) was still quite in tact, so you just stab your fork in, and you'll pull out a delightful combination of fluffy bread and curry. It was like fondue without the dipping part?!

In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger... I'll be back.
Apparently, Rokuro has recently started to serve dinner! So I've got a new mission...checking out Rokuro in the evening/at night. 

On a final random note...Rokuro is also a "gallery" because the cafe is located on the 1st floor, and I think there may be a gallery space on the 3rd floor. But handmade pottery is displayed all over the cafe area, and all of the dishes they serve with are unique and adorable. I was particularly attracted to this ashtray (pictured at the top of the above photo). It's almost a waste to use it as an ashtray!

No comments:

Post a Comment