Saturday, April 6, 2013

Paint it BLACK.

The Kawasaki Memorial DIC Museum of Art, revisited!

Last year I went came here to see a splendid, bright, and beautiful exhibit called FLOWERSCAPES. This time, the exhibition has a seemingly simple but craftily profound focus: the color black.

Love the ticket design.
Of course, I couldn't take photos inside the museum...so you'll just have to see for yourself!
The museum has a very detailed introduction to the exhibit on their website here:
http://kawamura-museum.dic.co.jp/en/exhibition/index.html

We round up having to rush a bit at the end, as we'd gone in the afternoon and closing time (which fyi, is 17:00 for those of you who want to take your time looking around) had crept up on us before we knew it!

Everything was - as always is with the Kawamura Museum of Art - fantastic. I won't even pretend to be able to "discuss" art, but I definitely know what resonates with me. I loved both Louise Nevelson's works (I was dreaming about which of her pieces I would like in my home) and Ad Reinhardt's paintings (which ignited some squabbling between my friends and I as we tried to spot the patterns). However, my favorite may just have been the photos by Hiroshi Sugimoto - I've always been attracted to the contrasts between the light and the dark, and that's exactly what his work captures.

In any case, there's only one week left until the end of the exhibit (runs until April 14) - but I really do recommend it if you can go! It really is incredible.

Kawamura Museum of Art from a distance.
Also, just as an extra little note - the grounds directly adjacent to the museum include a park and nature trail, which are also owned/maintained by DIC. Throughout the year, there are always all sorts of plants and flowers of the season in bloom. If you're planning a visit to the museum, make sure to leave aside some time to check out the park too!

No comments:

Post a Comment